Saturday, April 24, 2010

Searching for Adventure

Since I have been unable to travel anywhere or do anything really exciting this trip, I thought it was time to do something adventurous and travel to a place I have not yet been.  After hours and hours of searching for the perfect weekend itinerary last weekend, I finally found what to do late Monday night and Tuesday: travel to Scotland to play golf!  But, not only play golf - but play golf at Turnberry Ailsa course - the site of the 2009 British Open.  So difficult to plan golfing weekend trips (especially to Championship courses) because there are so many elements to take into account - first even being able to book a tee time on a weekend, flight times, rental car etc - to allow for at least 36 holes of golf in the weekend.  I found a flight to Glasgow from Amsterdam late Friday night which I thought would be easier to drive in Glasgow to a hotel around Turnberry later at night hoping there would not be as much traffic - since I would have to drive on the other side of the road.  I was able to join a group at 12:30 on Saturday and since I could not get on Royal Troon (can only play Monday - Tuesdays as a visitor), I figured I would play the Ailsa course again - or the other course at Turnberry on Sunday.
Tuesday night I left work at a decent hour and went to the Gent Golf School to use their driving range to practice a bit for the weekend trip.  Driving range was OK - it was pretty short so you were not supposed to hit driver and they were still using mats instead of hitting off of grass which sucked.  But they had a decent putting / chipping green and unlimited golf balls for 10 euros.  I practiced until the sun went down and then headed home.  Couldn't wait until the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment