Today was the big day of the race and it ended up being a beautiful day which only meant more traffic. I think the entire country of Belgium drives to the Sea on the weekends if the sun in shining and the fact that there's construction on the highway doesn't help! The race started at 3 PM so I left my apartment around noon to ensure I was checked in and ready to go in plenty of time. Due to my lack of training, my goal was to break 60 minutes, which is just under a 10 minute mile pace. I knew the wind was going to be the issue, but I thought the last 2.5 KM would be down wind so I figured I could make up some time then. WRONG! I think there were only a few small stretches that were down wind. We were either running through streets that were completely out of the wind, or right into the wind. I felt really good until around the 7th KM, that's when my legs started to get a bit tired and by that point I knew the last 2.5 KM were along on the boardwalk and would be right into the wind. But, I knew the people and the waves crashing would give me more than enough motivation to finish strong, however the 20-30 mph gusts of wind were not helping! There was a lady that was running with me right at the finish and although I was talking in English she kept talking in Dutch, I do not know what she was saying but somehow I found it very motivating, maybe it was just the pure awkwardness but regardless I flew by her and a couple others in the last 100 meters! Even after the race, I saw her and just said thanks for the help at the end and she replied again in Dutch! Overall, it was a great course and I felt good through the whole thing except for the wind at the end, and you get a medal for finishing so I will have something to remember it since I couldn't take any pics! I have 2 weeks to get stronger until my next 10K, which is going to be way more difficult because its the morning after my Boss' wedding.... :-).
My official time was 1:03:12, so a bit slower than I hoped but I blame it entirely on the wind!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment