Next trip outside was to find some food. Since I started running I wanted to keep it a bit healthy (for a day at least) and something fast so I went to Subway. Ordered a couple wheat 30 CM subs. The small size was 15 cm so I assumed the large one was 30 cm, and remembering unit conversions back from high school, 1 IN = 2.54 CM so I knew I was roughly close. I wanted two wheat 12 inch subs, but really had to say ''Groot" for large and "brune" for wheat. So I got 2 large 'wit' or white subs instead. The girl mentioned she didn't speak English very well and when we got to the vegetables / toppings that's when the fun started. Since I just came back from Spain I had my languages mixed again, so when she asked me if I wanted cucumbers, I answered 'Si', then she asked me a question and I answered 'No, just mayonnaise please.' And this is when her colleague, which spoke much better English, started laughing. Evidently I was asked 'What languages do I speak?' and I answered 'just mayonnaise.' The subs tasted pretty much the same and were quite delicious.
Later that night I went out with a colleague and one of his futbol teams and it was a lot of fun. Different party style over here and everything is open very late, so we didn't end up going to the bar / club until almost midnight and left around 4. I woke up late the next morning only to get around and go straight to a wine tasting with a group of colleagues. One of the guy's father organizes a wine tasting every year as he knows a lot of the winery owners in most of the French regions. So, I tasted some very good wines from the different regions of France and found out that if you are a Bourdeaux drinker, that 2005 and 2009 are great years for Bourdeax - they are actually quite good. I bought a couple sweeter white wines just to make sure I have a couple good bottles of wine in case I ever have visitors again!
When I arrived back in Gent, I went straight for the friejtes stand to get some food. I went to one of the small stands near the genever bar and it seemed there was a fire behind the genever bar! I hope nothing happened to it! Check it out:, if you look close you can see the owner of the genever bar's painting for the back entrance in the alley.

No comments:
Post a Comment