Thursday, February 4, 2010
Garbage Bags / Cleaning Lady
I woke up the next morning, still not really moved into my apartment as I had clothes all over the one side of the first floor next to my two suitcases and groceries everywhere. However, I had the cleaning lady coming that day and I didn’t want the place to look like a pig sty – which seems completely wrong to me because that is her job… but I still picked up quite a bit and threw all of my wet clothes next to the heater on the table, and picked up the rest of my clothes / suitcases and stacked them in the corner out of the way. I opened up the roll of yellow trash bags, only to realize they said on the side of it “AALST.” I immediately knew they have some REALLY crazy garbage laws now and couldn’t wait to ask people at work what the deal was. I tell them, and the first thing they do is laugh at me, even though they understood I would have no idea of the setup. How it works, you don’t pay for the city or a trash company directly to pick up your trash. Instead, you have to buy expensive city-specific garbage bags and part of the proceeds of the garbage bags goes to the city to pick up the trash. Come to find out most cities have different color trash bags but of course Aalst and Gent have the same color of yellow so I didn’t even think anything of it. Luckily, I was able to sell them to someone in the office who lives in Aalst but never would have thought it would be that difficult to throw things away! When I got home from work that night I was curious to see what the cleaning lady did and if I could tell that she cleaned since I had just moved in. Wow – could I ever tell… I am in love with my cleaning lady. I had a pile of change on the table and she stacked them up from the biggest coin to the smallest, including drying and folding all of my wet clean clothes!!! Furthermore, she took all of my dirty clothes that were stacked up and placed them in this wicker basket of a laundry bag and hung up my remaining clean dress shirts. She matched all of my socks and folded each pair inside of each other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment