Thursday, November 5, 2009

More Driving Adventures...

So Tuesday morning was the last day I was able to drive the Audi – just as I finally was used to it.  So today I get a Renault Laguna – and to make matters worse of course it is pouring out.  By the time I actually find the car (because again it was not parked where they told me), I was half soaked.  The navigation system actually has a visual map which is nice, except it only has Dutch or French and it took me 5-10 minutes to find the parking break because it was a lever/button deal underneath the left side of the steering wheel.   I ended up finally making it home, only stalled once because of the new clutch, in a decent sized intersection but not too big of a deal.  Wednesday morning I had to take a colleague from Barcelona who is in for the week and this other random guy who is in the hotel, plus Emma and Jessie wanted me to drop them off at the train station.  However, I was unable to start the car because the battery was dead – must of left a light on even though we double checked twice… So that was a great way to start the morning!  

So glad we are going to dinner in Gent tonight (but I do not know if I should drive as parking is a mess, and the rail company is supposedly supposed to go on strike tonight so… I might be stuck in Gent!).

Dinner in Gent was very nice – the food was not remarkable, but I did not taste anything that wasn’t good.  I had pigeon soup and Scottish fawn for dinner, interesting but very good – the pigeon was actually better than the fawn! 



Pigeon soup above. Scottish fawn below.


After dinner we walked a bit in Gent and went to a couple pubs including the ‘little bicycle’ pub I went the first time I was there with all of the junk all over the ceilings!  I ended up driving because the rail company's strike – but I did very well, even parked in an underground parking garage so I am getting better!!  But I am excited I was able to drive to and in the city center of Gent without much issue as I am hoping my apartment gets approved today so I can move in on Saturday...!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment